Adventures in the Lone Star State

24 Hours: Part I

OK, I finally have some time (and energy) to write another post. It’s been a long, crazy week. I can’t believe I actually did what I did.


I already told you about it. I miraculously made it to the airport and to Hong Kong.


I slept in a bit because I had a late night. I left myself about one hour to relax before heading off to the airport. One cool thing about HKIA (Hong Kong International Airport) is that you can check in from the city (up to one day in advance). You go to the HK station, check in, and then do what you want. It’s especially convenient since you don’t have to lug your luggage around all day. Besides, the airport is off on some remote island with nothing to do, so there’s no point in getting there early.

When I checked in, the Cathay lady informed me that there were no aisle seats available. I was pretty sad. 11 hours next to a window with two people between me and the aisle. I thought it was going to be miserable flight home. To get my mind off that and onto something better, I went to the IFC Mall and looked for gourmet chocolate. After all, I promised a certain someone, that I’d bring her some chocolate. And not just one candy bar (like she mentioned in a chat session). It was nearing lunch time and I had already missed breakfast, so I headed over to McDonald’s for a bite to eat. I only had HK$8 on me (about US$1) in coins left. That really didn’t leave me with much…just a McChicken sandwich. And it was probably the only place that I could eat for so little. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have gone there.

While at the City Super, I realized that I actually had HK$20 in cash in my wallet. So, I had to spend that. The bakery offered some French bread and a croissant for exactly HK$20. I ate the croissant and saved the French bread for when I was at the airport. On the last trans-Pacific flight, I starved b/t the two meals (not knowing that they had snacks in the middle of the plane). I figured that I’d save the bread for an emergency. Turns out that I didn’t need it; it was wonderful, though.

The Flight

As I boarded, I was praying that there would be nobody in the middle seat. I got on pretty late and it looked like things were going to work out. Seriously, I was nervous every time a person walked down my aisle. One lady passed, another man soon followed. Final boarding was about to end when two men hopped on the plane…Where are they going to sit? Please, not here. I’ll pay the man US$100 to sit somewhere else. The one gentleman quickly takes his seat and the other man does too (a few rows back). Is this for real? Did I somehow manage to get one of five open seats (on a 747, mind you)? Miracles do exist and prayers are answered! (At least, some prayers are answered in my favor—a few other seems to have been answered with a “no” to my disbelief.)

I actually was able to sleep for a few hours (and comfortably) at the beginning of the flight. I chatted briefly with the man in the aisle seat. He was in the jewelry business (for the Middle East) and loved to tell me how Americans don’t care about jewelry (i.e., they rush out to Macy’s and pick out some jewelry in less than one hour). Also, he said that diamonds in America are cheap (lower quality cuts and more cookie-cutter than in the Middle East). In the Middle East, people will spend a week or two trying to decide on what cut they want; they want it to be custom and special. Blah, blah, blah. Another foreigner trying to tell me why he doesn’t like America.

The rest of the flight was good; nothing really exciting to write about. I did find the snacks and I gorged myself. I had a ham & cheese sandwich, plenty of peanuts, some individually-wrapped Tim Tams cookies, some biscuits, Cup-O-Noodles, and plenty to drink. Needless to say, I wasn’t hungry when I got off (well, I was hungry within two hours).

June 2nd, 2007 at 5:57 am

Leave a Reply